Ahh. . . I couldn't have believed my eyes this morning when I woke up. It was just after 7 am. A first for both of the boys to sleep beyond 6. It was nice. However, I still can't seem to get myself to bed before 10:30pm. I'm about ready to give up on getting more then six hours of sleep. On the bright side about this morning is that the heavens opened up and it was raining. . . REALLY Raining. . . a lot. . . AND it did not stop until 3 in the afternoon. My mom even called me to see if the kids and I were flooded out. Down the street yes. Us no. I like it when it rains. It smells good and cleans the air. But. . . I hate it when it stops, followed by the heat/sun. *ugh* The smell is horrible. Everything that had dried out over the dry months such as mold, rotten vegetation and something else that I don't know what it is. Gets wet, releasing the foulness that would have been washed away if it would rain more. That all just hits your face at once. *Yuch* It'a kinda like going into a sauna just when someone dumps the juicy bits from the bottom of a trash can over the steam coals. Yeah. . . gross. This is the main reason why I hate this time of year here in the desert. Once the monsoon season is over and the weather cools down. It nice. You can go out to do just about anything active outside like the park, a nice walk, a bike ride to the store instead of driving. Things like that.
Anyway, the morning went along the norm with the exception of adding practice potty trips for the toddler. Today was not a good one. However I think he has quit a bit of bodily control. Three times we went to the potty. Three times he did not go on the potty but went in his diaper after we were done. Then he proceeded to complain at me after the fact. In this situation we go back into the bathroom to do the whole routine again and try again in about an hour or so. He's only 16 months. I don't expect him to get it right away. I also told Dale to let me know when he needs to go so that they can do it together. It helps.
After some much needed play time and lunch. Dale, Aden and I decided to brave the rain to go to the store. I normally go when Dale is at school but we were running low on fresh fruits and veggies and a couple of other things. Today Dale had reminded me exactly why I don't like taking him with me to the store. He usually does really well however I knew today was not a good day for this kid. He did not want a new toy or a special treat. He wanted a new flash light to replace the one that broke. (we have two others) I didn't want to buy him one but he was persistent. So I told him that if he was good and do what I say when I say it. I would buy him one. This normally does the trick. I can get in, get out without a hitch. *sigh* It didn't happen. He kept running around, trying to play hide and seek, push the cart too fast and grab random things off the shelf. I was starting to get really mad. But I kept my cool and kept reminding him that if he doesn't listen to me I will not buy him what he wants. The straw that broke the camels back. We were in the butcher/deli section of the store. I was waiting for someone to come out of the back to cut me a pound of salmon that was on sale. Off to the side this store has a computer setup so that you can place a custom deli order for sandwiches and stuff. It was a touch screen. Hard for just about any child to resist touching and playing with it. 5 times I told him not to touch it. Not to play with and to come stand by me. But he did not listen. I told him, "Alright I'm am not buying you that flash light." All heck broke loose from this little boy. He screamed and crying and repeatedly cried out, "I want that flash light. . .!" over and over and over again. All I could do was ignore it. Act like it did not bother or embarrassed me. It did on the inside. I still had a couple of other things to get. So I pushed the cart around with him hanging on for dear life trying to stop me from finishing and leaving the store without what he wanted. While I was scanning my items at the self checkout. A woman that I did not know came up to me and told me that I was just like her daughter in law with her 3 year old grandchild. She thanked me for what I was doing with my 4 year old son. Wow! She said that she was a school teacher and thankful for a mother like me not giving in to the screams and cries of my child. It made my day, it made me blush and confirmed that everyone in the store WAS watching my tantrum throwing child. After she left Dale was still very upset. The clerk came up and offered him a free balloon. Dale did not want it. But after seeing her hand one to Aden who was on his absolute best behavior sitting in the cart, got a balloon. Dale quickly calmed down and asked for one too. The crisis was over. We walked out of the store with what we needed and I didn't have to spend money on a thing I did not want. Thank goodness.
When we got home. I fed the kids a snack while I was putting the food away. After I was done. I walked out of the kitchen to the site of Aden fast asleep at the table. He had eaten his food and was out like a light. So I scooped him up and put him to bed for his nap at 1:30. The rest of the afternoon was uneventful. Dale played until Aden woke up, watched a movie, I fixed dinner at 4:30, ate, bathed, played, smoothie, chilled on the couch with another movie, Aden to bed at 7:30 and Dale out cold on the couch at 8:20. Praying to get some sleep tonight and for another morning of the kids sleep in.
I love you sweetheart and I'm proud of what your doing for our family. Prayers, hugs and kisses. . . oxoxox.
No comments:
Post a Comment