Thursday, August 16, 2012

Blood Draw and Pinky

What would you call sleeping in? I mean for me, ideally I would call sleeping in any time after 8 am. However, my children have not yet discovered the benefits of letting their mama sleep in. Nope, Dale comes climbing into my bed at a quarter to 6. He asked, "Mommy? Is it time to get up yet? Aden's awake." I gave him a huge and a kiss. "No, its too early." Dale: "but Aden wake." I pulled the covers over my head and really wanted to go back to sleep. Nonetheless, Aden was awake and singing to the church hymn that was playing on the radio. Dale has a hard time sleeping without some kind of noise or music going on. So I play a CD of classical church hymns on my old radio for him. "Mommy? Are you going to get up?" *sigh* The mommy side of me was nagging again and I get up to start the day.

The only thing different about this morning is that I did not get a call from my hubby until about 7 or so. He was very excited that all he was doing was waiting for the truck to get finished in the shop and then be on his way to Temple, TX to pick up his first load to take it to Denver, CO if I remember right. While he was waiting he and his trainer decided to hit a local Walmart to load up on some food and things. After that, they be on their way. All I can say about that is, Yay! However, we're bout out of money because of all the little extra things he had to buy for his new job. Oh boy. . . I hope that we will make it to his first pay check. Being broke is no fun, no fun at all.

Mean while back at home. The morning was fairly uneventful. I fed the kids, did a load of dishes, took out the trash, plus the recycle. Put Aden down for his morning nap. When he woke up we had lunch, got Dale ready for school and out the door to catch the bus.

Now. . . What I would call the interesting part of my day. I had to take Aden to his appointment to have his blood drawn today. I didn't know what to except with the baby on how he was going to react. I had prepared myself for the worse thing possible. Him screaming bloody murder to the nurse putting the needle into his arm. I had an oh boy moment just thinking about it but it had to be done. We got to the lab/office a quarter to 1 in the afternoon. There was hardly anyone there. Just two other people. That's it. I had made the appointment ahead of time. However it was nice knowing that if Aden decided that he did not like or wanted to be there, only the staff would have been witness to his possible tantrum. Going in he was all fun and giggles. Dancing to the music playing in the waiting area and smiling to the staff. When the nurse called us back. He walked happily into the room. I placed my stuff down, picked up the baby and sat down holding him in my lap. They had two people in there to make sure that he would not move around or get hurt in the process. He watched them very closely. The nurse tied a big rubber band on his arm. We held him tight. He watched. The needle went in. The blood came out and to my shock and Aww. . . He did not scream, cry, flinch or whimper. She took the needle out. Put the cotton and tape on. Aden was still a happy camper. In fact when they were done. He was smiling, waving bye bye to the staff without a complaint. Wow. . . it was perfect. The nurse said that he was to first that she had that did not cry or scream but was happy when it was done. It was amazing.

After that Aden and I took off to the reptile store because our pet snake, "Pinky" was due to be fed. Pinky is a red albino corn snake. He is a little over three feet long and turns pink when he is getting ready to shed his skin. Every two weeks I go to this store to purchase a "fresh kill, small rat." The frozen ones weren't working for him and a live one would be to traumatic to deal with. So, I get the rat in a paper bag, pay for it and head home. Pinky is not your typical pet snake. He is disable, meaning that he can not see out of his left eye due to an infection he got before we got the snake. Because of his disability, we hardly ever handle this snake. He bits b/c he can not see to one side as to protect himself. This also makes for heart jumping, fearing that the thing is gonna get me every time I have to feed it. Plus, I have to entice Pinky with the dead rat. (dangling it on and in front of his nose) So that he will grab it to do the constricting thing. Then eat it. Today he missed four time before he got a hold of it due to the disability. I seem to recall the conversation before we got the snake that my hubby "promised" that he was going to be the one to take care of it. Feeding it and cleaning the tank that it's in. *sign* Just like the kid that asks for a puppy and then gets bored of it. Then mom is left to take care of it. Yep, that's what happened here. Can't complain too much because we got the snake and everything it needed for free. A lovely $500.00 value. The snake is worth about $150.00 of that.

Anyway, had Aden down for a nap. Did some emails and then tackled the family room to clean up the toys that seem to have exploded all over the place. I swear I don't know what happens? One minute it's nice and clean. I turn around and boom! toys everywhere! Cleaned it, vacuumed and mopped. The baby woke up just in time to go wait for Dale at the bus stop. Got back in. relaxed for a moment. Fixed dinner, fed the kids and this time I had to go do a training/meeting with my hubby and I business partner. Dropped the kiddos at a sitter. Went to the office. Got a lot of paper work done. Picked up the boys at 9:30 pm. Literally dragged Dale out to the car. He wanted to say the night. I said, "NO!" Went home, bathed just the baby because the other baby didn't want to as well as was too tired. Then the kids in bed by 10 pm. Today was a very long day again. . .

*head-desk*

No comments:

Post a Comment