Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Independent With P.B. & J.

This morning was fairly normal with the exception of Dale wanting to do everything himself. We were all up at 6 am of course. Me moving slow because the night owl side of me won't let me go to bed early. No matter what I try. I haven't been able to go to sleep before 10:30pm. I think part of it has to do with the book my hubby bought me before he left to become a professional driver. Or maybe I was born that way due to the fact that my parents have always been night owls. I dunno?

Dale was sitting on the couch watching Curious George on Netflix. When I asked him what he would like for breakfast. "Peanut butter jelly!" Has been his reply to my question for the past five days. "Ok, let me warm up some oatmeal for your brother and then I'll make your sandwich." I normally get an ok from him. But not today. He wanted to do it himself AND. . . all by himself. I always get excited when my children express there independents. However, I wished his choice was fixing a bowl of cereal instead of something as sticky as a pb&j. I've even tried to encourage him to do that. *sigh* He was determined to make the sandwich himself.

So I let him. He got the plate first. Then I handed him the bread. (I always keep it on top of the refrigerator b/c of a little dogie that likes to counter surf.) He gets the jelly and then the peanut butter. I then handed him the butter knife. Oh. . . I could hardly contain myself. I knew this was going to make a mess. But I had to bite my tongue and hold my hands behind my back. He was going to do it. At first he was doing well with the peanut butter. Placing it on one slice of bread and spreading it around every part of it including the plate. When he felt he had enough. Which seemed liked half the jar. He moved to the jelly. I handed him a spoon to make it easier to get it out of jar. I flinched. I tried to step in and grab the spoon before the jelly hit the counter. "Let me do it!" came ringing out of his mouth. Again I let him be. He carefully managed to get the jelly on the other slice of bread. But was having trouble spreading it around. I inched forward. "Would you like some help?" I asked him. "Yeah, I can't do this part. . . you do it please." I'd spread the jelly for him and he took it from there. Placing the jelly covered slice on the peanut butter. Then to the best of his ability. He cuts it in half. Dale beamed with joy. He was so excited to have done it himself. Plus he told me that it tasted extra good because he made it himself. This made for one happy mama.

The morning pasted by quickly. Put Aden down for a nap at 10:30 and he was up in time to go with Dale and I to the bus stop. After that the baby and I went to the reptile store to get food for the snake. Aden just loves looking at all the critters and things in the display cages. I made my purchase and we headed to the UPS store to get the mail. Then the grocery store for some eggs, cheese and grapes. They're on sale for 69 cents a pound. Yummy. Came home. Hangout with the toddler while watching DC cupcakes and eating grapes. Went to get Dale at 4. Got back in out of the heat. Loaded the dishwasher. Fixed dinner, bathed, played, got Aden to bed at 8, video chatted with Papa and Dale for a few minutes, let Dale finish his movie, then bed with a story at 8:45. Both dogs are in with him because he kept going on about his friend at school talking about having some kind of bad dreams? I'm not sure what he was really talking about but I do know that he was a little sad today because he misses his daddy very much.

AND Aden spoke a new word today. "Dale!" Yep he said his brother's name. It shocked me a little. I asked him "Did you just say your brother's name?" He nodded yes. Wow. . . that's one smart baby. He even knows how to say no and "nuh-huh" when he doesn't want something. He's only 16 months old. But I swear he communicates better than most 2 and 3 years old I know.

Is this a good or bad thing?  

No comments:

Post a Comment